Rhosymedre PM Chapel, nr Wrexham, Wales

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Rhosymedre PM Chapel, nr Wrexham, Wales' page

oldest chapel still in use in the circuit

By David Young

Rhosymedre Primitive Methodist chapel, built 1840, the oldest chapel still in use in the circuit (August 2012) - once itself the head of a circuit.

This page was added by David Young on 09/08/2012.
Comments about this page

There's an account in the 1835 Primitive Methodist magazine (p.269) of the opening of Rhosymedre Primitive Methodist chapel. The opening took place on 7th and 8th July 1833 when the preachers were J Brittain, T P and R P (of the Oswestry Circuit) and Revs Williams and Jones, Independent ministers.  

The account reports that Primitive Methodism started here in 1832 when Mrs Williams had the school and services in her house, but it became too small. 

By Christopher Hill
On 16/05/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.