Workington, John Street PM Chapel, Cumberland (ii)

Photo:Workington, John Street, the site where the chapel stood, 24.5.2016

Workington, John Street, the site where the chapel stood, 24.5.2016

Grid ref NY004287

By GW Oxley

John Street chapel was built of stone and brick in 1883. In 1940 it had 400 sittings on pews. There was a schoolroom and nine other rooms. It was closed on 31 May 1965 after merger with another Methodist Church five minutes away. It has since been demolished and the site now (May 2015) is occupied by retail premises. No image of the building has been located. (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13, DFCM2/145,; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940;

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDCM2/36 )

 

This page was added by GW Oxley on 16/05/2015.