Harriseahead Primitive Methodist Memorial Chapel Staffordshire

Photo:Photo No1 Hugh Bourne's original chapel as part of a shed building in 2007

Photo No1 Hugh Bourne's original chapel as part of a shed building in 2007

Photo:Photo No.2 The front of the 1861 chapel in High Street

Photo No.2 The front of the 1861 chapel in High Street

Photo:Photo No.3 The back of the 1861 chapel in High Street

Photo No.3 The back of the 1861 chapel in High Street

Photo:Photo No.4 The plaque from the High Street chapel

Photo No.4 The plaque from the High Street chapel

Photo:Photo No.5 Foundation stone from the 1861 chapel

Photo No.5 Foundation stone from the 1861 chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Harriseahead Primitive Methodist Memorial Chapel Staffordshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Harriseahead Primitive Methodist Memorial Chapel Staffordshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Harriseahead Primitive Methodist Memorial Chapel Staffordshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Harriseahead Primitive Methodist Memorial Chapel Staffordshire' page

This chapel was built in 1924

Hugh Bourne built the first chapel in Harriseahead. Daniel Shubotham (Hugh Bourne's first convert) gave part of his garden The building was completed in 1803. In 2007 it was being used as a work shed with parts of the original building still remaining. In 2015 it cannot be found.

In the High Street a chapel was first built in 1861. In 1909 another chapel was built but we are not sure where. In 1957 the 1861 building was being used as a Sunday School. The building was still there in 2007 but in 2015 it has been demolished.

Yet another chapel was built in 1924. This was erected in Chapel Lane and was known as the Memorial Chapel. 1n 2015 it is open for worship.

Photos 1-5 by kind permission of Robert J. Higginson

Other photos taken February 2015

OS Map Ref:118:SJ861544 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 16/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.