Worthing; Lyndhurst Road Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Temporary Fever Hospital Methodist Chapel Lyndhurst Road Worthing 1893

Temporary Fever Hospital Methodist Chapel Lyndhurst Road Worthing 1893

PP/WSL/POO2780 West Sussex County Library Service

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Worthing; Lyndhurst Road Primitive Methodist Chapel' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Worthing; Lyndhurst Road Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

The chapel on this site was built in 1929

In 1893 the iron chapel in Chapel Road Worthing was moved to Lyndhurst Road. During the typhoid outbreak of that year it was used as an emergency hospital with 28 beds.(See photo)

The present building was erected on a new site in 1929 and remained in use as a place of worship until 1977.

In 2014 the building is used by the local community through the council. The iron chapel was taken down after the Second World War.

Photos taken July 2014

OS Map Ref:198:TQ159032

Acknowledgements

West Sussex County Library Service

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 05/11/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.