Occlestone Green PM Church, Middlewich, Cheshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Occlestone Green PM Church, Middlewich, Cheshire' page

Photo by kind permission of the former Sandbach and Alsager Methodist Circuit

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Occlestone Green PM Church, Middlewich, Cheshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Occlestone Green PM Church, Middlewich, Cheshire' page

Photo taken January 2016 by E & R Pearce

Photo:Was this once the Chapel ?

Was this once the Chapel ?

Photo taken January 2016 by E & R Pearce

Opened in 1871 and closed in 1961

Occleston was part of the Sandbach Circuit, and appears on the Sandbach Primitive Methodist Circuit Preaching Plan for 1899 (copy at Englesea Brook Museum).

In 1960 it was described as a 'Brick building with Pews seating 60; No schoolroom'. (Report for the Department of Chapel Affairs, 1963, compiled from returns made on 1 December 1960.

It was not known what happened to the Chapel after it closed in 1961. It was thought that it may have been turned into a house.

However this photograph shows the charred remains of the Chapel (2010).

Can anyone add any more information?

Sources

Information compiled by Doug Savill – October 2008

http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/cheshire.html

 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 26/04/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.