Middleton Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:The Old Chapel, Middleton

The Old Chapel, Middleton

© Copyright Christine Johnstone and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Location of Middleton PM Chapel

Middleton, Little Hereford Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 54780 69580

 

In 2013 the building is a dwelling. It is not known when it ceased being a chapel and when it was sold.

The Middleton society was formed between 1860-65, the Middleton chapel was built in 1869 and is one of only two to be built in the 1860’s by the Ludlow Circuit. (Primitive Methodism in Shropshire 1820-1900)

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- A chapel that is marked on modern OS maps and on the 1885 1st Edition is labelled Primitive Methodist.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 101. LITTLE HEREFORD - MIDDLETON. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1868.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 115. LITTLE HEREFORD - MIDDLETON. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1868.

 

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1891.

 

On the 1885 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1903 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1965 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Middleton Methodist Chapel.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps   

This page was added by Richard Beck on 17/11/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.