Mocktree Primitive Methodist Chapel (ruined)

Photo:View of Mocktree ruin looking North 2013

View of Mocktree ruin looking North 2013

R Beck

Photo:View to Mocktree ruin from Mocktree Turnpike 2013

View to Mocktree ruin from Mocktree Turnpike 2013

R Beck

Site of Mocktree PM Chapel

Mocktree Turnpike, North of A4113, Leintwardine Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 42190 76160 

The ruins of this chapel may be viewed on Google Street View as they stood in 2009. Mocktree came into the Ludlow circuit in 1841. It is not known when it closed as yet. It was proposed for sale in 1930 and correspondence continued into 1936 for the sale.

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- A ruined Primitive Methodist Chapel with foundations and north wall surviving. The building is shown as still standing on the 1963 OS map.

(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches)

Also on this site an HER monument search result gives :- Ruined Primitive Methodist chapel - foundations and N wall surviving - surrounded by wrought iron railings considerably disturbed. Mortared limestone - rough stone irregularly coursed - (partly repaired with brick and concrete). NE corner brick.

 

On the 1885 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1904 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1975 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked, but not as a place of worship.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

 

Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – not recorded in Birmingham District.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 02/11/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.