Watton P M Chapel East Yorkshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Watton P M Chapel East Yorkshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Watton P M Chapel East Yorkshire' page

This chapel was built and opened in 1887.

Watton Primitive Methodist V.R. Jubilee Chapel was built and open in the fiftieth year of Queen Victoria's ascension to the throne. 1824 saw the first services of the Primitive Methodist Society in Watton. For many years the services were held in the kitchens of the Society's members. When the preachers took their stand behind the kitchen table they would have seen hanging over their heads sides of bacon, hams and other delicacies enjoyed by the local people. In 1887 the local land lord of Watton, Mr T. Bethell, granted a site to build a chapel. On the 7th October the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Luke White of Driffield. Tea was provided for 250 guests. The chapel cost £150 to build and opened debt free. Chapel music was provided by a fine American organ.

In 2009 the chapel had been very tastefully converted into a dwelling.

Photos taken August 2009.

OS Map ref:106:TA015502

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 08/07/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.