Lee Bridges PM Chapel Shropshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Lee Bridges PM Chapel Shropshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Lee Bridges PM Chapel Shropshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Lee Bridges PM Chapel Shropshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Lee Bridges PM Chapel Shropshire' page

This small rural chapel was opened in 1898 and is still being used for worship today August 2012

A Methodist society was established in Lee Bridges in the nineteenth century and this corrugated iron chapel was built in 1898. Buildings of this kind were known as "tin tabernacles" or "iron churches". They were often built as mission halls or temporarily while a congregation awaited a new build. The main problem with them was rust which made maintenance difficult. Lee Bridges does not have this problem and it makes a surprising impact where it stands in this very rural area of Shropshire.
.
It is quite a remarkable building outside but not half as remarkable as the inside. This is totally wood panelled. The wooden pews have backs similar to those found on old trams where the backs could be changed to face the direction in which you were travelling. The plaque photographed can be found inside.

Clive Lea showed us round. At least two generations of his family have completely maintained this chapel and continue to do so. Worship continues here today in 2012.

Photos taken August 2012

OS Map ref:126:SJ404311

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 14/04/2013.
Comments about this page

Another picture of this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels. Current information about the chapel can be seen on the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit website.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 17/12/2013

The chapel closed during 2016.

By David B Jones
On 03/09/2016

According to the Circuit Plan which is online, the chapel is still holding services!

By Adam Miller
On 08/11/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.