Westwoodside Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Photo:Westwoodside Sunday school, circa 1920's

Westwoodside Sunday school, circa 1920's

Rev. David Leese

Photo:Sunday School anniversary parade circa 1930

Sunday School anniversary parade circa 1930

Rev. David Leese

Photo:Sunday School banner

Sunday School banner

Rev. David Leese.

Photo:1861 Westwoodside Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1997.

1861 Westwoodside Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1997.

Keith Guyler 1997

By Rev. David Leese

Westwoodside already had Wesleyan and Methodist New Connexion chapels when the Primitives formed a society in 1819 and built their first chapel in 1822, the countryside reported as being " on fire" with the missionary work of the first Ranter preachers who had only entered Gainsborough in 1818.

A second chapel was built in 1835, and the present one, the third in 1862. The chapel rebuilding was indicative of rapid growth. Furthermore a Sunday school was added in 1896. It had a large and well attended Sunday school, and when the District Commission visited in the 1960's it was determined to keep this chapel, which continues as the village place of worship, for though a part of the parish of Haxey, Westwoodside forms a separate settlement within the parish.

This page was added by David Leese on 08/01/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.