West Butterwick Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Photo:Pedestrian access to West Butterwick Primitive Methodist Chapel

Pedestrian access to West Butterwick Primitive Methodist Chapel

Rev. David Leese

Photo:West Butterwick Primitive Methodist Chapel

West Butterwick Primitive Methodist Chapel

Rev. David Leese

Photo:1846 West Butterwick Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1998 when it was a furniture storeroom

1846 West Butterwick Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1998 when it was a furniture storeroom

Keith Guyler 1998

By Rev. David Leese

West Butterwick is a Trentside village, and as with many of these villages formerly connected by ferry to the village on the opposite river bank, in this case, East Butterwick. It lies five miles from Epworth. 

There was already an historic Baptist chapel and a Wesleyan society when the Primitives built a chapel in 1832. This was replaced by a chapel in West Street in 1846/8, on a confined site with only restricted pedestrian access (now standing behind 29 West Street). So post union, when one chapel only was considered necessary, the District Commission determined that the Wesleyan chapel become the Methodist chapel for the village, even though it possessed a lively and committed membership. Hence the last service was 23.2.1964, and the building subsequently sold. It still exists in its external form.

At the end of the nineteenth century a thriving Band of Hope existed in the village, and used the premises for their activities.

This page was added by David Leese on 06/01/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.