Walsden (Bottoms) Primitive Methodist Chapel Todmorden Lancashire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Walsden (Bottoms) Primitive Methodist Chapel Todmorden Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Walsden (Bottoms) Primitive Methodist Chapel Todmorden Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Walsden (Bottoms) Primitive Methodist Chapel Todmorden Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Walsden (Bottoms) Primitive Methodist Chapel Todmorden Lancashire' page

This chapel was built in 1860

This chapel was always known as Bottoms Methodist Chapel. The land was originally purchased in 1836 but it is unsure whether a Methodist chapel was built on the site before 1860. A chapel school was erected on the same piece of land. The chapel must have closed for a period of time because on 2nd September 1900 services were resumed here.

We do not know when it finally closed but in 1951 it was purchased from the chapel trustees by Malcolm Rigg. He paid £550 for a plot of land 'upon which a chapel and other buildings have since been erected'. A covenant within the agreement states 'that the name of Bottoms Chapel on the building shall forthwith be obliterated, defaced or covered up to the satisfaction of the vendor'. This is somewhat confusing as the beautifully lettered plaque stating that it is a Jubilee Chapel is still on the front of the building in the photos.

For many years after purchase the chapel was used as a joiner's workshop. In 2013 the land and buildings are still in the possession of the Rigg family and being used by Gordon Rigg Garden Centre.

Photos taken June 2013

OS MAP Ref:103:SD934214

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 11/02/2015.
Comments about this page

I can add a little light on the question of whether there was a chapel on the site before 1860. The Primitive Methodist magazine for April 1861 (page 235-236) contains an account by J Graham of the re-opening of the chapel  on January 27th 1861.  It explains that the society had just bought - for £350 - the building they had previously rented. It measured 19 yards by 10 yards.

They also added a harmonium.

Rev J Bywater of Kirton was the preacher at the re-opening service. Principal donors included Mrs. Bolton, Mrs. Bottomley, Mrs. E. Wrigley, Mr. Horsfall and family, Mr. Haigh, Mr. Lord, Mr. W. Fletcher, Mrs. Bolton, Mr. Ogden, Mr. Baldwin, Mr. A. Fielden, Mr.J. Fielden, and J. Munn and Co.

By Christopher Hill
On 07/04/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.