Walkington Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:first Walkington Primitive Methodist chapel

first Walkington Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill August 2017

location of first Walkington Primitive Methodist chapel

38 Northgate Walkington HU17 8ST

By Christopher Hill

At the start of the Twentieth Century Walkington offered a Primitive Methodist Chapel on East End and the Jubilee Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on West End. The Primitive and Wesleyan chapels did not join together until 1962.  In 2017 the Wesleyan chapel still serves, but the Primitive chapel has been demolished.

There had been a previous Primitive Methodist chapel, in Northgate. It was built in 1837 and served until 1879 when it was replaced by the chapel in East End.   It has now been converted into a house. The house is in two distinct parts; was the chapel the gable end section or the part with embossed figureheads?

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/08/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.