Walkeringham Primitive Methodist chapel

Location of former Walkeringham Primitive Methodist chapel

W Moor Rd Doncaster DN10 4LR

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by W Lonsdale of the opening of Walkeringham Primitive Methodist chapel in the Gainsborough branch. The services started on October 17th 1858 and the preachers were JB Horberry of Northampton, Mrs Moody and Mrs Lonsdale. Collections were small as the society on had nine members.

The new chapel was 20' x 20', had 32 seats in elevated pews, had 5'x20' of spare ground. It cost £73/7/7 but that would have been more than £80  but the land and the transport of materials were given freely. The debt was £52.

Building the chapel was initiative of James Horbury, who "belongs to the first race of Primitives in this part of the country" and gave the land and first donation. Without the " firmness and support" of W Gilbert and Aaron Cooper "we think the little undertaking would have been too much for our feebleness".

A Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on West Moor Road on the 1886 Ordnance Survey map.  On the 1956 map is is marked as disused. By 1977 West Moor House is on the site.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1859 pp.111-112

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/05/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.