Staithes Primitive Methodist Chapels

By Pamela Atkins

Two former PM chapels stand side by side on the steep hill down into the fishing village of Staithes.

The honey coloured stone building was opened in 1858, but proved too small so a new chapel was built in 1880 and the original building became the school rooms.

The older building was eventually converted for residential use and is currently (2016) a holiday cottage.

The 1880 building is now the Captain Cook Museum, which houses an eclectic collection of local memorabilia, including a banner from the PM Church.

Photo:1858 Chapel

1858 Chapel

June 2016

Photo:1880 Chapel

1880 Chapel

June 2016

This page was added by Pamela Atkins on 07/07/2016.