Springthorpe Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:the former Springthorpe Primitive Methodist chapel

the former Springthorpe Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

location of former Springthorpe Primitive Methodist chapel

Hill Road Springthorpe DN21 5PY

By Christopher Hill

The first Springthorpe Primitive Methodist chapel on Chapel Lane dates from 1831 and was replaced in 1898.  This second chapel served until 1973 and after closure it became a house.

location: 876896

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 21/09/2015.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. Meth/C/Springthorpe/E/4/1: Chapel Site Plan, 1897.

Ref. Meth/C/Springthorpe/E/4/2: Architectural Plan of Chapel, 1897/8.

Ref. Meth/C/Springthorpe/C/2/1: Trust Account Book, 1899-1932/3, etc.

Ref. Meth/C/Heapham/J/4/5: Newspaper Cuttings, a mention of the Primitive Methodists, Springthorpe, 7 items, 1901-1914. 

Ref. Meth/C/Springthorpe/C/2/2: Trust Account, 1901-1903. Minutes, 1896-1932/3, etc

Ref. Meth/C/Springthorpe/D/1/1: Solicitor's Account re Chapel Site, 1897.

Ref. MLI87237: PM Chapel, built 1898, Springthorpe, replacing one on Chapel Lane, built 1831. Short History.

Ref. ML97869: Original PM Chapel built 1831. Short History.

  • Scotter PM Circuit 1831-1864.
  • Gainsborough PM Circuit 1864-1932/3.
By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 15/01/2018

There's a brief account from 1861 (Primitive Methodist magazine November 1861 page 686) of the enlargement and improvement of the 1831 chapel. It was lengthened to hold larger congregations.

 

 

By Christopher Hill
On 12/04/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.