Records associated with Primitive Methodist Chapels in and around Hull

By Raymond E.O. Ella

I have identified records for a number of Primitive Methodist Chapels in and around Hull, at the Hull History Centre, which are not currently (July 2018) featured on My Primitive Methodist Ancestors.

They are as follows.

Perth Street (alternative name West Street) Primitive Methodist Chapel records.

Ref. C DCT: 1930-1932, 1933-2009. Ref. CDW/555: various. Ref. C CDT/3-5, 7: 1907-1908, 1931. Ref. C DCT/417: 1927-1932, 1933-1953.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel , seating 450 with one hall and two additional rooms.

Genuki, publishing work by Peter Kessler, describes the chapel thus: “Perth Street (Primitive) Methodist Church occupies the north-east corner of Chanterlands Avenue and Perth Street. The church was opened as West Street Memorial Church in 1908, a temporary building to replace Mill Street Chapel (later West Street Chapel ), which closed in 1912 and was used as a dance hall before being destroyed by bombing in 1941. A new church was built on Perth Street in 1931, but it closed shortly before 2011 and its future is now uncertain.”

A picture of the chapel can be seen by following this link

Spring Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel Hull: Jubilee records, etc.

Ref. C DCT/455: 1919-1920 (3?). Ref. C DCT/457: 1932.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 1100, with 2 halls and 18 other rooms. It was damaged by bombing in WW2.

There was also Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Church at Springbank. This sat 950 with one hall and three additional rooms. It too was damaged in WW2 and was sold just before 1940.

Stoneferry Road (Emanuel) Primitive Methodist Chapel

Ref. C CDCE/425: records c.1916-1932, 1933-1936 (others).

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 150 with one hall and 5 rooms. The Chapel suffered bomb damage in WW2.

Swanland Primitive Methodist Chapel

Ref. C DCT/465: Swanland Primtive Methodist Chapel records, 1898-1932, 1933-1954. Other documents.

Swanland is a village just north of North Ferriby. The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 60 on forms with no additional rooms.

Portobello Primitive Methodist Chapel

Refs. C DCE/370, 388, 358, 409, 1361-2, various documents c.1904-1932, 1933-1977, for Portobello Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hull. Other documents.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 500 with 20 additional rooms. It too was damaged by bombing in WW2.

Selby Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

Ref. C DCM/569: Selby Street Primitive Methodist Sunday School minute book, 1908-1932, one volume.

Ref. C DBHT/5/223: Papers relating to painting. Recipe for mixing paints c.1900. Bill for painting property in Kirk Ella 1897. Bill for quantities of paint for painting Selby Street Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hull, by T. Beecroft Atkinson, 1901.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick and stone built chapel, seating 300 on chairs with no additional rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.

Primitive Methodist Mission Room, Willow Grove

Ref. C DCT/1726/3: Certificate of Worship at the Primitive Methodist Mission Room, Willow Grove, Hull, 25th Feb., 1886. 

St Georges Road PM Chapel

Ref. C DCW/425, 432: St. Georges Road PM Chapel, Hull, document 1875-1910, 1895-1902.

 Ref. C DCX/37/3: Jubilee Celebration souvenirs, programmes of services, 16th to 18th of March 1923, St. Georges Road PM Chapel, Hull.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 700 with three halls and 14 rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.

Holderness Road PM Chapel

Ref. C DCE/104, 106, 108: records for Holderness Road (Bright St.) Hull,  Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1901-1930s, 1903-1912, 1928-1932, 1933-1940. 

Ref. C DCR/72: Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel, Holderness Road, Hull. Marriage Register 1926-1932. 

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick and stone built chapel, seating 1000 with one hall and 17 additional rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.

Fountain Road PM Chapel

Ref. C DCT/393: Fountain Road PM (Zion) Chapel, Hull, records c.1873-1876. Various other references for other documents.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 830 with one hall and 13 rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.

Hull First Jubliee Circuit

Ref. C DCT/299: The Hull First Jubilee Circuit (Primitive) Records, 1825-1833.

Hedon Road, Newtown PM Chapel

Ref. C DCE/501: Hedon Road, Newtown Primitive Methodists baptisms, 1895-1909.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 380 with one hall and three rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.

Lincoln Road PM Chapel

Ref. C DCT/256: Lincoln Road Primitive Methodist Chapel, documents 1897-1909.

Wawne PM Chapel

Ref. C DCE/55: Wawne Primitive Methodist Chapel documents, 1860-1932, 1933-1938.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 100 with one hall.

Brighton Street PM Chapel

Ref. C DCR/113: Brighton Street, Hull, Primitive Methodist Marriages 1921-1932, 1933-1936.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 150 on forms with two additional rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.

Alexandra Street PM Mission, Hull

Ref. C DCT/485: Alexandra Street Primitive Methodist records, 1878-1906.

Waltham Street PM Chapel

Ref. C DCT/223-4: Waltham Street PM Chapel records, 1838-1879. Ref. C DCT/288: 1815-1837.

Hodgson Street PM Chapel

Ref. C DCE/47: Hodgson Street PM Chapel baptisms, 1901-1932, 1933-1941.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 300 and one hall. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.

Church Street PM Chapel

Ref. C DCT/256: Church Street PM Chapel baptisms 1864-1874.

Hawthorne Avenue PM Chapel

Ref. C DCR/45: The Norman Memorial, Hawthorne Avenue, Hull, Primitive Methodists marriage register 1906-1921.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 500 with two halls and 21 rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2. 

Siggle Street PM Chapel

Ref. C DCT/1726/2: Certificate of Worship for St. John's Wood Primitive Methodist Chapel, on Siggle Street, Hull, 22nd May, 1872.

Walmesley Memorial PM Chapel, Newport

Ref. C DCW/471: Site Plan for Newport Village PM Chapel (near South Cave). 

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 200 with one hall and 2 rooms. It was in the North Cave Circuit.

Wetwang PM Chapel

Ref. U DDSY5/43/3: Plan. Part of Wetwang showing site for Primitive Methodist Chapel, c.1870.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 132 with one hall and one room. It was in the Driffield Circuit.

Newbald PM Chapel

The East Riding of Yorkshire Archives, Beverley has information about Newbald PM Chapel as follows:

Ref. MRM/3/5-7: Newbald PM Chapel, Trustees Minute Book 1879-1958. Trustees Account Bool 1873-1960. Papers 1954-1955. Trust Schedule 1958.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 250 with one hall and one room. It was in the North Cave Circuit.

 

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 09/07/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.