Prior's Hardwick Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Prior's Hardwick Primitive Methodist chapel

former Prior's Hardwick Primitive Methodist chapel

Anne Langley 2017

location of Prior's Hardwick Primitive Methodist chapel marked on the 1885-6 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map.

where John Wright was bruised, torn and gored by an infuriated cow, and saved from an untimely and melancholy death by a most striking interposition of Divine Providence

By Christopher Hill

John Wright describes the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel in Prior's Hardwick in the Primitive Methodist magazine of May 1860.

"Priors Hardwick is a small village which was missioned a few years since by our ministers, who preached to its inhabitants the Gospel of Christ, the power of which was soon manifested in the reclaiming of some of the most profligate, and a society was formed. A chapel became a desideratum, and preparations were made to secure land. In accomplishing this object the writer was bruised, torn, and gored by an infuriated cow, and was saved from an untimely and melancholy death by a most striking interposition of Divine Providence. A neat brick structure, 21 feet by 14 feet 6, and 14 feet high, covered with blue slates, was reared at an expense of £80, one third of which has been obtained. Opening sermons were preached by Messrs. Harrison and Palmer. The services were powerful, and good was done."

A Primitive Methodist chapel is located on London End on the 1884-5 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map. It is not marked on the 1900 map.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine May 1860 page 301

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/01/2018.