Oakengates PM Chapel, Shropshire

Link provided by Geoff Dickinson

Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

After closure it was converted in 1983 for use as the Headquarters of the Telford Youth Training Agency. When the photographs were taken in August 2018 it was unused but carried the name Wesley House.

Photo:Oakengates Station Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Oakengates Station Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill August 2018

Photo:downhill side of the chapel with access to rear yard.  The chapel was lengthened at both the beginning and end of the Twentieth Century.

downhill side of the chapel with access to rear yard. The chapel was lengthened at both the beginning and end of the Twentieth Century.

Christopher Hill August 2018

Photo:commemorative plaque, Oakengates Primitive Methodist chapel

commemorative plaque, Oakengates Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill August 2018

Photo:foundation stones for extended chapel

foundation stones for extended chapel

Christopher Hill August 2018

Photo:foundation stones for extended chapel showing change of brickwork

foundation stones for extended chapel showing change of brickwork

Christopher Hill August 2018

Photo:where the old joined the new

where the old joined the new

Christopher Hill August 2018

Photo:Oakengates Station Hill Primitive Methodist chapel, uphill side

Oakengates Station Hill Primitive Methodist chapel, uphill side

Christopher Hill August 2018

Photo:Oakengates Station Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Oakengates Station Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill August 2018

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 11/12/2013.
Comments about this page

Shropshire Archives and Local Studies:

Ref: NM3038/4/9: Oakengates PM Chapel Schedule 1860. Other documents with circuit records.

Ref: XNMA44: Wrockwardine Primitive Methodist Circuit Records (previously Oakengates PM Circuit).

Ref. XPH/O/1/105: n.d. Interior of PM Chapel, Oakengates.

Ref. X8335/6/12/5: Exterior of Oakengates Chapel (previously PM), year 1975 with adjacent police station.

Ref. X8335/16/4: Exterior of PM Chapel, Oakengates, early 20th century.

Ref. NM3083/4/8: Oakengates. Extract from the Primitive Methodist Magazine, Feb., 1847: e.g., First Chapel lasted only 1 year and 7 month. Taken down to make way for railway. Second Chapel opened 1847, etc. 

Other documents.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 12/04/2018

By accident we drove past this chapel yesterday, saw the words Primitive Methodist" so stopped to take some pictures

By Christopher Hill
On 31/08/2018