North Cave Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'North Cave Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'North Cave Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'North Cave Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire' page
Photo:The plaque above is from the 1819 chapel

The plaque above is from the 1819 chapel

Photo:1870 North Cave Primitive Methodist Chapel in Westgate as it was in 1999

1870 North Cave Primitive Methodist Chapel in Westgate as it was in 1999

Keith Guyler 1999

The chapel in the photos was built in 1870

The chapel erected in 1870 to the plans of architect Joseph Wright at a cost of approximately £800 replaced a chapel that was built in 1819. It had the distinction of being the first chapel built north of the Humber opening on 26th July 1819. North Cave also became the head of the North Cave Circuit.

By 2009 the chapel appeared to have closed for worship. In February 2013 bids were invited for the purchase of the building. It was sold to be converted into three apartments.

The fourth photo is of the plaque from the 1819 North Cave chapel. It is now in the Englesea Brook Museum collection.

Photos taken August 2009 and 2013.

OS Map ref:106:SE892323 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 27/06/2013.
Comments about this page

Hull History Centre (Hull City Archives):

Ref. C CDT/1705-7: North Cave PM Chapel, Band of Hope Admission Book, c.1880. Young People's Society Rolls (Book form), 1903-1908. Temperance Roll Book, 1925. Ref. C DCT (CDT) 1719: Centenary Souvenir Card 1907.

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella)
On 05/07/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.