Newport (Isle of Wight) Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by J Holdroyd of the opening of the first Newport (Isle of Wight) Primitive Methodist chapel. It was second-hand, acquired from the Wesleyan Reformers, and the opening services were held from October 3rd 1858. Speakers were Rev G Lamb of London, Rev GJ Proctor (Independent) and Rev J Elrick (Independent). After a tea for 200, a public meeting was addressed by Messrs Dash, Lamb, Pritchard, Willis, Holdroyd and J Alderslade.

The chapel measured 44' x 32' with a gallery at one end, a schoolroom entered from the gallery, a vestry and room for expansion. It was "fitted up with pews", lit by gas and had an organ.

It cost £600 of which they had only raised £100.

Where was this chapel and what happened to it?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1859 p.42

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 16/05/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.