Marple Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The opening of Marple Primitive Methodist chapel in the New Mills circuit is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine by R Cordingley.

Primitive Methodist missionaries Bros J Gilbert and J Hallam first visited Marple  in 1822 followed by Bros Holloday and Hopkinson who formed the society. Mr. Brindler purchased a large building which was used for worship until the new chapel was erected.

The new chapel measured 25'6"(w) x 42'(l) and had a Sunday school the same size as the chapel underneath it.  

The foundation stone was laid in July 1828 and the opening services took place on Sunday 26th April 1829. Preachers were Brother John Verity and Sister Ruth Morton. 

The Ordnance Survey map of 1880 shows a Primitive Methodist chapel in the centre of town at the junction of Market Street and what became Chapel Street. Was this the site of the 1828 chapel?


Primitive Methodist magazine of 1829 page 317


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 06/09/2017.