Mangotsfield Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Mangotsfield Primitive Methodist chapel

Cossham Street, Mangotsfield BS16 9EN

By Christopher Hill

In the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine, CT Harris  gives an account of the opening of Mangotsfield Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bristol Circuit.

Mangotsfield was missioned in 1833 and a room fitted out as a chapel on 10th August 1836. It was not satisfactory, but a revival in January 1857 with 60-70 new members made more room essential. The foundation stone of a  new chapel was laid  by Handel Cossham of Shortwood Lodge.. The chapel, built by Mr Lambert (a local preacher) , measured 44' x 27', with stuccoed and squared walls; all the free seats had rail backs; lighted with camphine lamps; and the pulpit was pained a light stone colour.

Opening events started on November 28th 1857. Preachers included Mr Cossham, CT Harris, Henry Lee of Redland, Rev G Warner of Marlborough, C Wattuns  and Rev J Holmes of Bristol. Donors of money or artifacts included Mr Cossham, R Charlton, John Lunell, JW Hall, Mr Stanley (for making the deeds at no cost), Mrs Routby and Mr Lambert.

In due course a Sunday School was added and it became Cossham Street Methodist Church.  On Google Street View in may 2016 it is in commercial use.

Location: OS grid reference ST6649976132


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1858 pp.178-179

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.