Maesbury Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Maesbury Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Maesbury Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Maesbury Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire' page

This chapel known as 'Bethesda' is in Ball Lane

This chapel was built in 1834 of rubble and slate. The windows are an interesting feature having pointed arched heads. What a pity that such a special little chapel has been left to ruin.

It is listed as being derelict in 2002 and when this photo was taken in May 2012 it was obviously more dilapidated.

Photos taken May 2012

OS Map ref:126:SJ306266

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 01/06/2012.
Comments about this page

Further information on this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 08/12/2013

There's an account in the Primitive Methodist magazine for 1835 (p.269) of the opening of Bethesda Primitive Methodist chapel in the Oswestry circuit - although the account doesn't specify which village the chapel was located in. It could well be Maesbury as there is the same circuit and opening year.

Opening services took place on 18th and 19th May 1834 conducted by Sister E Allen and a preacher from Ireland. There was a large and respectable congregation and several 'worthy' donations.

Is it the same chapel and what has happened to it since 2012?

By Christopher Hill
On 16/05/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.