Lofthouse Primitive Methodist chapel

Whitby circuit

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1853 contains an account by D Gates of the opening of Lofthouse Primitive Methodist chapel in the Whitby circuit.

The village was missioned in 1821 and a small society formed. It met in a small chapel built at this own expense by the late William Adamson, built despite local opposition, including the two local quarries refusing to supply the stone. They also acquired a garden connected to the chapel and on May 5th 1853 laid on the same site the foundation stone of a new chapel  twice as big as the previous one.Rev J Evans, Mr Southron and D Gates preached.

The chapel was opened on August 14th 1853. Sermons were preached by Rev Evans, and Mr Hebron. A tea meeting for 200 was held the next day.  Every local family with 2 or 3 exceptions donated to the cause, as did the Earl of Zetland who also supplied the stone. The total cost was £260.


Primitive Methodist magazine October 1853 pp.620-621


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/02/2017.