Ledgemoor Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Ledgemoor Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

Ledgemoor Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

R Beck

Photo:Ledgemoor PM Chapel wall plaque

Ledgemoor PM Chapel wall plaque

R Beck

Photo:Chapel before conversion - November 1996

Chapel before conversion - November 1996

David Hill

Location of Ledgemoor PM Chapel

West side of road through Ledgemoor, Kings Pyon Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 41523 50433

 

In 2013 the Chapel is now a dwelling. The wall plaque is now weathered but states “Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel ???? ??56”. The building now has extensions added.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- A former Primitive Methodist Chapel which later became Ledgemoor Zion Chapel.

Ledgemoor chapel is a brick-built building, which once had a white exterior and black woodwork, designed to blend in with its surroundings. There are only two windows, which are at the front of the building on either side of the door.

Over the front door is an inscription which reads "Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel 1856".

The Minutes for the Quarterly Meeting of the Weobley Branch on 4th August 1843 record that there were prospects for two new chapels in the area, one at Lyonshall and one at Ledgemoor. Six months later mention is made of a preaching room at Ledgemoor, which indicates that a barn or room in a private house was being used for meetings.

 In 1856 land was secured for the chapel site and a chapel was built that seated 110 and cost £100. That same year services were held twice on a Sunday, at 2.30pm and 6pm, and by December the members of Ledgemoor chapel had been asked by the Circuit Meeting to provide a Sunday School. This action was not carried out as three years later a travelling preacher was asked to make enquiries at Ledgemoor on the subject of establishing a Sunday School. A similar request was also made the following year.

Over the years the membership for Ledgemoor Chapel remained fairly steady:

  •  1849  19 members
  •  1854  18 members
  •  1884  18 members
  •  1906  14 members
  •  1916  13 members
  •  1931  17 members

However, as with many chapels the membership fell and consent was given to close the chapel in March 1966. The building was then sold. The chapel has remained in private ownership since.

(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches)

 

English Heritage, PastScape web site states :- Former Primitive Methodist chapel at Ledgemoor built in 1856.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 104. KINGS PYON - Lidgmoor. A Primitive Methodist chapel.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 123. KINGS PYON. A Primitive Methodist chapel.

 

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1890.

 

On the 1887 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Zion Chapel (Prim. Meth.)

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Zion Chapel (Prim Meth)

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps 

 

Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District - .Ledgemoor - Structure, brick. Seating Accomodation, 86. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District - 212. Leominster :- Leominster (Green Lane), Dilwyn, Stockton, Shirlheath, Ivington, Upper Hill, The Hundred, Hatfield, Weobley, Ledgemoor, Tillington, Almeley, Norton’s Wood, Stockmore, Staunton-on-Wye.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 11/12/2013.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1857 contains an account by Joseph Preston of the opening of the chapel, although he spells it Lidgemore.  He dates the initial missioning as 24 years earlier.

The foundation stone was laid on September 26th 186 by James Taylor sand the opening ceremonies on December 28th. The opening tea for 200 was held on January 1st 1857. Opening preachers included Mrs Sanders, Mr Calvert (Hereford), Rev Owen, Messrs Maskell, Charles, Steed and four children "who recited some interesting pieces".

By Christopher Hill
On 28/12/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.