Islington Frog Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Location of former Frog Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Frog Lane (Popham Road) South Street (Basire Street): first chapel built by the Primitive Methodists in London

By Christopher Hill

In the Primitive Methodist magazine, George Lamb tells us about the laying of the foundation stone of Islington Primitive Methodist chapel on November 20th 1854. He locates the chapel in Troy Lane, South Street, Lower Road; British history on line sites it on the south side of Frog Lane (later Popham Rd.) at corner of South (later Basire) Street. Frog Lane = Troy Lane - transcription error?

It took them a long while to get there; Frog Lane was the first chapel built by the Primitive Methodists in London. "Our greatest difficulty in London arises from our inability to obtain suitable places of worship, owing to the enormous price of land, and the general poverty of our societies, while in no part of the kingdom is there greater need of our labours than in this mighty city." Islington was better off for chapels than most, but there was a major need even there.

A lot was due to the work of Mr. Staley, "who for several years has paid the rent of our present preaching-room, and has obtained us the site of ground on which we are building. He is also finding the necessary money, and will allow, if needful, two-thirds to remain on interest."

The stone was laid by Rev. Charles Gilbert, Secretary of the London Congregational Chapel Building Society. 

A celebration tea for 150 people was held in the Birckbeck Schoolroom. After tea the public meeting chaired by Mr. Frisian, circuit steward, was addressed by the travelling preachers, Mr. Hall, Mr. Charlton, and George Lamb, and by Messrs. Berry, Snead, Church, Ensor, Hendry, and Thomas, local preachers.

In its first year it gained 52 new members. In 1886 the attendance was 92 in the morning and 162 in the evening.

The chapel closed in 1897. On Google Street View in 2015 the area has been re-developed in the late Twentieth Century.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1855 p.48

Victoria County History, London, 1985 accessed through British History Online accessed March 4th 2017  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol8/pp101-115#h3-0005

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 04/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.