Gooberton (Gosberton) Clough Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Gosberton Clough Primitive Methodist chapel

Clough Road Gosberton Clough PE11 4JN

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of 1835 contains an account by John Rich of the opening of Gooberton Clough Primitive Methodist chapel. As it is in the Boston circuit, it is likely that Gooberton is actually Gosberton; either the name has changed over the years or there has been a transcription error at some point.

There were twenty members in the society and the new chapel was described as a "neat building well situated among the people." 

Opening services took place on 30/04/1835 and 03/05/1835 and were conducted by Rev W Margerum (Baptist), D Wilson, W Paddison and J Richards.

Although there is no obvious sign of the chapel any more, on the south side of Clough Road and just east of the bridge at Beck Bank, there is a group of four semi detached houses, probably built in the 1950s and bearing the name Primitive Gait. A Primitive Methodist chapel is marked there on Ordnance Survey maps from 1888 and is still there in 1932, but has gone by the 1973 map.

The longer surviving former Wesleyan chapel was on the other side of the drain; seems appropriate that there was a division between the two.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of 1835 page 393

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/10/2017.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln has the following records relating to this chapel:

Ref. MLI199244: Site of Primitive Methodist Chapel with School Room, Gosberton Clough, built 1835, closed 1932-5, later demolished.

Cited on O. S. Maps 1884-8, 6 inch scale. Other ref. stated.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 04/12/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.