East Couton (Cowton) Primitive Methodist chapel

location of East Cowton Primitive Methodist chapel

East Cowton DL7 0BP

By Christopher Hill

East Couton (sic) Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on October 18th 1840, although the village is more usually spelled Cowton now. William Towler described the occasion. The account is transcribed in the attached document.

The chapel, which measured 9 yards x 9 yards, had a gallery and cost around £160.  

The Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on the 1893 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map on the north side of Main Road, just west of the junction with what is now Wycliffe Road. In 1913 it is in the same location, but a larger building. By 1971 it is marked as Methodist church. By 1986 the building is still there but not labelled.

On Street View in 2011 it has been converted into a house.

The Victoria County History mentions a Primitive Methodist chapel opening in 1903. This was probably the extension of the existing chapel.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine July 1841 page 268

 

Downloads

Opening of East Coouton chapel
Opening of East Coouton chapel (5k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1841 p268 transcribed by David Tonks

Opening of East Coouton chapel
Opening of East Coouton chapel (5k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1841 p268 transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.