Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Dlae Road, Derby Primitive Methodist chapel

Dlae Road, Derby Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the 94th Primitive Methodist Conference 1913

Photo:Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel, in 2016 used as an orthodox church

Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel, in 2016 used as an orthodox church

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Rear view of Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Rear view of Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Front view of Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Front view of Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel with Sunday School, initially used for worship.

Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel with Sunday School, initially used for worship.

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1931; Englesea Brook Museum

location of Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Lower Dale Rd, Derby DE23 6WZ

By Christopher Hill

Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel in Derby is in the inner city area.  In 2016 it continues to be used as a church, but by the Serbian community.  It had closed as a Methodist church in 1962.  

The commemorative stones on the front have been covered, but the ones on the side of the building are still visible.  They commend Miss E E Cooper, Mrs H Jeffrey, Miss E Bowyer and "Mr A  D Mitchell for his son Harry"

As the population of Normanton expanded in the nineteenth century, a room in Church Street was used for a new Primitive Methodist Society.  In 1880, the Traffic Street chapel in Derby took the initiative to build a Sunday School on Dale Road which was initially also used for worship.  The chapel itself  opened in 1901. The cost of the chapel and school was £3,120.  

In 1903 it became head of the Derby 4th Circuit.

You can read here an account of the development of Primitive Methodism in Derby from the Handbook of the 94th Primitive Methodist Conference, held in Derby in 1913.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/01/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.