Courage (Curridge) Primitive Methodist chapel

The opening collections amounted to five pounds, one shilling, and five-pence, given chiefly by the poorest class, and composed of the smallest pieces of money.

By Christopher Hill

Primitive Methodists were predominantly poor, working class people,  with many of them agricultural labourers. The story of the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel in Courage, a hamlet in the Chievely parish illustrates how difficult it was to build a chapel - and how prayer helped them achieve it.

The story is set out by Henry Sharman in the Primitive Methodist magazine, transcribed below.

Courage chapel in the Shefford circuit was opened on November 8th 1840.

The chapel, which measured 24' x 18' was built of brick and slate, had 9" walls and four sash windows.

Names of people involved included Earl of Radnor (who gave the land); Thomas Baker (who gave £65 and challenged the society to respond); John Ride; Mrs Ride; Henry Sharman; Mr Harland (Isle of Whight [sic])

Address: Chapel Lane, Curridge. GR: SU490718.  OS 25" 1899.

On the 1933 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map it is marked as Methodist church. On the 1977 map it is labelled as Chapel Cottage.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1841 page 65-67

 

Downloads

Courage Primitive Methodist chapel opening
Courage Primitive Methodist chapel opening (159k)
from the PM magazine; transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.