Calver Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Calver Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Calver Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Calver Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo:1860 Calver Jubilee Primitive Methodist as it was in 1999 when it was still active.

1860 Calver Jubilee Primitive Methodist as it was in 1999 when it was still active.

Keith Guyler 1999

This rural chapel was built in 1860

This stone built chapel sits in an elevated position on the main road through the village. In 2014 it is still open for worship.

It is thought that a Primitive Methodist Society existed in Calver as early as 1822. In 1833 there was a Sunday School above a joiner's shop. Later the adults moved to a rented room in The Bridge Inn. The present chapel was then built in 1860.

Photos taken October 2014

OS Map Ref:119:SK242745

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 19/10/2014.
Comments about this page

Calver was a village where "its inhabitants are chiefly employed in its cotton factory and the adjacent lead mines". T Doody describes the opening of Calver chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine of December 1860 page 738.

Preachers at the opening on September 29th 1860 included Brothers T. Tuton, W. Inman, and J. Ingham.

The new chapel measured 30' x 24' and cost £220.

By Christopher Hill
On 12/02/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.