Caistor Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:1868 Caistor Westgate  Primitive Methodist chapel

1868 Caistor Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

location of Caistor Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel

28 Plough Hill, Caistor LN7 6LZ

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Ranters attracted an open-air congregation of up to 4,000 followers in Caistor in the early 19th century.  Caistor Westgate  Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1839.

The first chapel was replaced in 1868 by a new chapel built in front of the old one.

The merging of the Central and Westgate societies, and the joint working of their respective trusts, took place between 1952 and 1956, prior to the closure of the Westgate chapel in 1966. It was sold to Lincolnshire County Council in 1967 and initially was used as Westgate Youth Centre.  By 2011 it had become Caistor Arts & Heritage Centre, a 'Not for Profit' social enterprise created by £430,000 of funding from Big Lottery as one of the 6 selected projects under the Village SOS programme. 

location: 119012

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 25/09/2015.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. Meth/C/Caister,Westgate/D/1/19: Trustees of Caister Primitive Methodist Chapel, School & House, Equitable Mortgage Deed, year 1923.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 04/12/2017

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. LCL12763: Photograph c. 1900s, a view of children playing and a horse and cart with the Primitive Methodist Chapel in the background.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 09/12/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.