Bramley Moriah Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:the former Bramley Primitive Methodist chapel

the former Bramley Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1898; Englesea Brook Museum

The Crescent, off Upper Town Street, Bramley LS13 2EP

By Christopher Hill

Bramley Moriah Primitive Methodist chapel was one of three Methodist chapels within a stone’s throw of each other in the centre of Town Street, the others being Wesley Place and Brunswick. In 1956 these three congregations came together under the one roof to form the current Trinity Methodist society.

Moriah and its Sunday School building was sited up a narrow alley called The Crescent, which lay off Upper Town Street, just to the west of Wesley Terrace. It is approximately where Wesley Close is.  West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds holds records between 1869-1956, which indicates the dates of the chapel.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1835 contains an account by W Taylor of the opening of an earlier Primitive Methodist chapel in Bramley. The opening services on January 25th and 29th 1835 were addressed by Rev Ely (Independent minister)  and Messrs Barker, King, Sanderson & Watson.

The 1835 chapel was large, seating 500 and with a "commodious" room under the chapel for Sunday school.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 p.311

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/02/2016.
Comments about this page

Does anyone know where this earlier chapel in Bramley was and what happened to it?

By Christopher Hill
On 16/05/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.