Blackheath Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 contains an account by T Batty of the recent opening of three Primitive Methodist chapels - at Blackheath, Cinder Hill and Netherton.  “The mining district of South Staffordshire has proved a fruitful soil for Primitive Methodism.  (The area includes) Dudley ... with more than forty Primitive Methodist chapels within six miles of her lofty castle.”

The foundation stone for Blackheath Primitive Methodist chapel was laid in August 1851.  The chapel was opened in November and the society “increased six-fold”.  The chapel was 33’ x 30’ and 22’ from floor to ceiling.  The trustees owed £250 to a mortgage and a note of hand, but the subscriptions and donations had not come up to one third of the expenditure.

Mr S Darbey was singled out for particular thanks.

Can anyone locate it?  Does the building still exist?


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 p52

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/12/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.