Black Bank Primitive Methodist chapel

approximate location of the former Black Bank Primitive Methodist chapel

High Lane, Newcastle Under Lyme

By Christopher Hill

The 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine recounts that Black Bank was a hamlet in "a mineral and populous district." Unsuccessfully missioned previously, a year before there had been a revival after "a rather alarming circumstance occurred" - although Thomas Parr who wrote the article does not say what.

Black Bank Primitive Methodist chapel measured 23' 6" x 19' 8", had a good red deal floor, was brick built with stone copings and a blue slate roof. The total cost was £102 of whichthey had raised£45 despite the "great depression in trade".

Foundation sermons were preached on October 25th 1857 and opening services from December 6th 1857. Preachers included W Lawton of the White Barn Colliery, S Brindley and Mrs Colley. The new chapel was well attended and they planned to open a Sunday school.

Ordnance Survey maps show that a Sunday school building was added to the rear of the chapel some time between 1900 and 1924. On the 1937 map the labels have disappeared leaving only the buildings. The buildings are last marked on the 1967-8 maps but have disappeared by 1981.


 

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1858 p.181

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 20/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.