Biddulph Park Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Biddulph Park Primitive Methodist chapel

Biddulph Park Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1999

Biddulph Park Primitive Methodist chapel

Newtown Road, Biddulph Park, Biddulph, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, ST8 7SW

By Christopher Hill

After the meetings on Mow Cop which resulted in the establishment of Primitive Methodism in 1807, Biddulph became a strong Nonconformist centre.  The notes with Keith Guyler's picture say that the chapel was opened in 1863 and closed in the 1970s.  It is now a house offering bed and breakfast.

However, in the Primitive Methodist magazine of March 1855 there is an account by Samuel Tillotson of the opening of a chapel at "Newtown, in Biddulph-park" on December 31st 1854 - same chapel?; transcription error in the date?

It was a little chapel, 8 yards x 6 yards, seating 110 and costing £70 to build. Mr. Leonard Hopkins gave all the bricks, Mrs. Brough gave £10 and Mr. Shufflebottom promised £10. Wonder if he paid it? They had raised £60 in total.

Messrs. Tillotson and Broad and Mrs. Mary Peake preached the opening sermons.

"We are also occupying a schoolroom on rent, as a second place, at Mow, called Mount Pleasant ; we have established preaching in it, and raised a Sabbath-school of more than fifty scholars. We have had sermons and collections for rent, forms, books, and other necessaries ; and though the room will not accommodate more than seventy persons, we realized from 4J. to 51. We have two members, and a prospect of establishing a permanent society. The place is in an improving state, and likely to continue so."


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1855 pp.176-177

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.