1860 chapel openings and more

Photo: Illustrative image for the '1860 chapel openings and more' page

Index of 1860 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

By Christopher Hill

In the 1860 volume of the Primitive Methodist magazine there are exactly 100 reports of  openings, re-openings and foundation stone layings. This total included 43 openings, 43 foundation stone layings and 19 chapel re-openings. It adds up to more than 100 as several chapels appear more than once. 

At Scholes in the Hudderesfield circuit, each of the two people who laid the foundation stone baptised a child at the same time.

At the opening of Garway Hill chapel in the Hereford circuit, a sermon was preached by Mr.T. Hughes, of Hereford, at Pontrilas railway station, about four miles from the chapel (kindly offered by the station-master, who was present at the celebration tea-meeting).

At Scarborough, the foundation stone ceremony was very short as there were "torrents" of rain.

At Manton near Marlborough, Samuel Reeves and Joseph Phelps had been tried for holding a service on the village green

Downloads

1860 chapel openings
1860 chapel openings (695k)
Index of 1860 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.