Shropshire

There were 261 Primitive Methodist Chapels in the Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury District, seating 49,705 people. (Statistical Returns, 1940)

Click here for a link to a website containing over 400 photographs (many with brief historical details) of Nonconformist Chapels in Shropshire.

Page link: Asterley P M Chapel Shropshire
Asterley P M Chapel Shropshire
The chapel was either built or opened in 1834 and is still open for worship in 2013
Page link: Aston on Clun, Shropshire
Aston on Clun, Shropshire
(and the Baptists)
Page link: Babbinswood PM Chapel Shropshire
Babbinswood PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was built in 1903
Page link: Bagley PM Chapel Shropshire
Bagley PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel built in 1863 replaced a former chapel built in 1827
Page link: Bentlawnt P M Ebenezer Chapel Shropshire
Bentlawnt P M Ebenezer Chapel Shropshire
The chapel was built in 1854 and closed in about 2003
Page link: Bettisfield
Bettisfield
with Breaden Heath, Lyneal, and James Butler
Page link: Bettisfield (Ebenezer) PM  Chapel, Shropshire
Bettisfield (Ebenezer) PM Chapel, Shropshire
This Chapel is still being used for worship.
Page link: Bishop's Castle PM Chapel, Shropshire
Bishop's Castle PM Chapel, Shropshire
Two chapels: 1864 and 1904
Page link: Breaden Heath PM Chapel Shropshire.
Breaden Heath PM Chapel Shropshire.
Breaden Heath Chapel was built and opened in 1832. It was closed in the 1980's
Page link: Bridgnorth Primitive Methodist chapel
Bridgnorth Primitive Methodist chapel
St. Marys Steps, Bridgnorth WV16 4AQ
Page link: Cardington Primitive Methodist chapel
Cardington Primitive Methodist chapel
Cardington, CHURCH STRETTON, SY6 7JY
Page link: Clive PM  Chapel, Shropshire
Clive PM Chapel, Shropshire
Chapel opened in 1859, Closed in ????
Page link: Cockshutt Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire
Cockshutt Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire
This chapel is now demolished
Page link: Craven Arms Primitive Methodist chapel
Craven Arms Primitive Methodist chapel
Market Street, CRAVEN ARMS, SY7 9NW
Page link: Crewe Primitive Methodist chapel
Crewe Primitive Methodist chapel
but not that one - probably.
Page link: Dudleston Heath PM Chapel Shropshire
Dudleston Heath PM Chapel Shropshire
This small chapel in Main Road was built in 1894
Page link: Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel Shropshire
Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel Shropshire
Edgerley Chapel was built in 1860 and is still open for worship
Page link: Ford Heath P M Chapel Shropshire.
Ford Heath P M Chapel Shropshire.
This Chapel was built in 1867 and enlarged in 1891.
Page link: Hopton Bank PM Chapel, Shropshire
Hopton Bank PM Chapel, Shropshire
Report of Opening in the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838
Page link: Hopton PM Chapel (near Ruyton-XI-Towns) Shropshire
Hopton PM Chapel (near Ruyton-XI-Towns) Shropshire
This chapel was built in 1833. Closure date and conversion to a house are unknown.
Page link: Kinnerton Primitive Methodist chapel
Kinnerton Primitive Methodist chapel
Wentnor Shrewsbury SY5 0SU
Page link: Knockin Heath Ebenenzer PM Chapel Shropshire.
Knockin Heath Ebenenzer PM Chapel Shropshire.
This chapel was opened in 1831 and is still in use in May 2012.
Page link: Lee Bridges PM Chapel Shropshire
Lee Bridges PM Chapel Shropshire
This small rural chapel was opened in 1898 and is still being used for worship today August 2012
Page link: Ludlow; Old Street Primitive Methodist Chapel
Ludlow; Old Street Primitive Methodist Chapel
This chapel was erected in 1870 and seated 400 people.
Page link: Ludlow; Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel East Hamlet
Ludlow; Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel East Hamlet
This chapel was built in 1878 and closed in the early part of the 21st century
Page link: Maesbrook PM Chapel Shropshire.
Maesbrook PM Chapel Shropshire.
This Chapel was erected in 1899. It was the second chapel to be built at Maesbrook.
Page link: Maesbury Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire
Maesbury Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire
This chapel known as 'Bethesda' is in Ball Lane
Page link: Meadowtown Primitive Methodist chapel
Meadowtown Primitive Methodist chapel
Meadowtown Minsterley SHREWSBURY SY5 0DZ
Page link: Melverley PM Chapel Shropshire
Melverley PM Chapel Shropshire
Christian witness began in Melverlely in the open air. The foundation stone for this small rural chapel was laid on August 1st 1865. It is still used for worship today May 2012.
Page link: Minsterley PM Chapel Shropshire
Minsterley PM Chapel Shropshire
This brick built chapel was erected in 1924
Page link: Morda PM Chapel Shropshire
Morda PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was built in 1871
Page link: Morton (Bethel) PM  Chapel, Shropshire
Morton (Bethel) PM Chapel, Shropshire
This chapel in the rural district of Oswestry is still being used for worship.
Page link: Myddle, Shropshire
Myddle, Shropshire
Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1842
Page link: Northwood (Jubilee) PM Chapel, Shropshire
Northwood (Jubilee) PM Chapel, Shropshire
This chapel is still in use for worship. N.B. spelling on plaque.
Page link: Oswestry Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire
Oswestry Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was built in 1898
Page link: Pant PM Chapel Shropshire
Pant PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel opened in 1866. Today in 2013 it is still being used for worship.
Page link: Pontfaen PM Chapel, Shropshire
Pontfaen PM Chapel, Shropshire
What hath God wrought
Page link: Poolhead PM Chapel, Shropshire
Poolhead PM Chapel, Shropshire
This former PM Chapel built in 1864 is now a house with land around
Page link: Prees Green PM Chapel
Prees Green PM Chapel
The first PM chapel in Prees Green was built in 1843.
Page link: Prees PM Chapel Shropshire
Prees PM Chapel Shropshire
This brick built chapel was erected in 1894
Page link: Rose Grove Primitive Methodist chapel
Rose Grove Primitive Methodist chapel
Anchor Newcastle CRAVEN ARMS SY7 8PR
Page link: Shawbury Heath Primitive Methodist chapel
Shawbury Heath Primitive Methodist chapel
Bings Heath Astley Shrewsbury SY4 4BY
Page link: Shrewsbury; Castle Court PM Chapel
Shrewsbury; Castle Court PM Chapel
A former Prison Chapel
Page link: Snailbeach P M Chapel Shropshire.
Snailbeach P M Chapel Shropshire.
This chapel was opened in 1878.
Page link: St. Martin's Moor PM Chapel
St. Martin's Moor PM Chapel
The present chapel was built in 1870
Page link: Stanwardine in the Fields PM Chapel Shropshire
Stanwardine in the Fields PM Chapel Shropshire
This small rural brick built chapel opened in 1869
Page link: Stiperstones P M Chapel Shropshire.
Stiperstones P M Chapel Shropshire.
This chapel was built or opened in 1869
Page link: Stoke St.Milborough PM Chapel nr Ludlow Shropshire
Stoke St.Milborough PM Chapel nr Ludlow Shropshire
This rural chapel was built in 1842
Page link: Treflach Wood PM Chapel Shropshire
Treflach Wood PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel is now a house
Page link: Trench PM Chapel Shropshire
Trench PM Chapel Shropshire
Built in 1866 this chapel was known as Bethesda
Page link: Twitchen Primitive Methodist chapel
Twitchen Primitive Methodist chapel
Twitchen, Clunbury, CRAVEN ARMS, SY7 0HN
Page link: Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire
Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was erected in 1877 and worship continues in 2013
Page link: Walford Heath P M Chapel Shropshire
Walford Heath P M Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was erected in 1841
Page link: Wellington Chapel, reopening, 1837
Wellington Chapel, reopening, 1837
From the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838
Page link: Welshampton PM  Chapel, Shropshire
Welshampton PM Chapel, Shropshire
This chapel is still in use for worship
Page link: Wern PM Chapel Shropshire
Wern PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was opened in 1896 but today it is the garage of the bungalow that stands behind it.
Page link: West Felton PM Chapel Shropshire
West Felton PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was built in 1909
Page link: Worthen (Mount Zion) PM Chapel Shropshire
Worthen (Mount Zion) PM Chapel Shropshire
This small brick built chapel was erected in 1861
Page link: Wrockwardine Wood PM Chapel Shropshire
Wrockwardine Wood PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel in Plough Road, erected in 1863, is the second chapel to be built on this site.
Page link: Yorton Heath PM Chapel Shropshire
Yorton Heath PM Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was erected in 1859. Closed 1958.